Dr. Asif Hamid, a biological dentist at Fitzroy Dental Practice is an expert in the SMART technique for removing silver amalgam fillings.
SMART (Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique) involves following certain protocols to ensure the safety and well-being of everyone in the treatment room while silver amalgam fillings are removed.
These fillings contain approximately 50% mercury which is toxic to humans and should never be used internally. The IAOMT (International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology) has set specific rules and standards for mercury removal.
- Maintaining outside air sources in the treatment room
- Using amalgam separators to collect the mercury properly
- Using a special filtration system to eliminate particles and vapours
- Wearing proper protective equipment including eye protection, surgical gowns, and gloves
- Cleaning the treatment area thoroughly after the procedure